I recently had the opportunity to interview fellow blogger Ruqaiya Khan, she gave me some interesting insight into the beauty world in the Middle East, what inspires her and how she got started.
Here are some highlights from our call, and make sure to check out her blog. http://www.ruqaiyakhan.com
My mom was my big inspiration; I always use to watch her put on her makeup and loved how much effort she would put in to it each day. She would pay such attention to detail.
- I loved looking through magazines and seeing all the new trends.
How would you describe the beauty industry in Pakistan today?
- As a teenager I really only wore lip gloss and then starting experimenting more with bold looks in my early 20’s.
- Women more and more in Pakistan are starting to wear bold looks and want the education on how to apply using specific techniques and tools.
- Wearing makeup in school is not allowed so this prevents many young women from learning the proper techniques (lucky for me my mom was a great source of information).
- It is also considered taboo to post images of yourself to social media sites like Facebook, so it is more difficult to create a share community for looks, trends, tips etc.
What made you want to start your own blog?
- I started watching video’s on You Tube and I feel in love with using that platform to educate and showcase techniques.
- I really liked Michelle Phan’s style.
- I wanted to provide the women of Pakistan a forum for discussion.
Where do you pull your information from when creating content?
- Many things inspire me but I find I mostly try to get information from trained professional, like my dermatologist etc.
- I want to make sure that the information I provide is accurate.
What would you say are the biggest trends in Pakistan/Middle East?
- Smoky eyes because the look pairs really well with our typically almond-shaped eyes
- Bold lips, red is really a hot color right now
- Hair styling like using a flat-iron, curling iron etc.
- Using the right tools
- Bridal makeup incorporates jewels and bright looks
- And now more than ever women are wanting to choose the right foundation shade for their skin type, we had limited product range before but there are more color choices now
If you could give advice to any bloggers out there what would it be?
- Take really good pictures (they will make a big difference in your posts)
- Be honest about your content and opinions
What are the 3 products you can’t live without?
- Eye Liner
- Flat Iron