I love it when the season shifts, the leaves start to change color, you can make hot cider, etc.– all the fun things about fall. One thing I don’t love however is how dry/itchy my skin can get.
Here are a few rules I try to live by during the colder months.
- Drink plenty of water. Hydration as always is key.
- Put on moisturizer/ lotion right after I get out of the shower. This helps capture the moisture that is already on my skin.
- Switch to a heavier moisturizer. During the winter I love Kiehl’s Body Butter.
- Keep lotion in your bag/at your desk/ on your dresser. I hate to admit it but my hands can crack in the winter, so I have to be super diligent about applying hand cream.
- Dressing accordingly. That means layering to stay warm while not overheating/ sweating–both can irritate the skin.
- Wearing sunscreen (which is an everyday must anyway). Sun damage is one of the main causes of dry skin. But the biggest thing here for me is to make sure my lip balm has at least SPF 15 in it.
- Try to take warm, not hot showers since the hot water can dry you out. Ok this is the hardest one for me, but I try my best.
What do you find helps protect your skin from getting dried out in the winter?